A Guide to Understand Artery and Veins with Diagrams
It may seem difficult for people to understand the cardiovascular system. By using artery and vein drawing, it is easy to know their structure, features, and functions. For making this kind of diagrams, you may try EdrawMax Online to create visuals without efforts.
1. What Are the Artery and Veins
The cardiovascular system is a complex system that controls the blood flow within the human body. Arteries, veins, and the heart are the main parts of the system. To understand the system, the students need to create their diagrams. It can also help them in getting an overview of artery vs. vein. Creating a freehand diagram of arteries and veins can be troublesome. The students can use online tools like EdrawMax, which can help them create a perfect artery and vein diagram. They can customize the images as per their requirements.
The cardiovascular system is a significant part of the human body as it supplies the required nutrients and oxygen to the cells and removes the waste materials from them. It is a closed system that consists of arteries, veins, and capillaries between them. They are connected to the heart and which pumps the blood.
2. Artery VS. Veins
The arteries and veins are parts of the cardiovascular system. However, based on their functions, they show some dissimilarities. As the central function of the circulatory system is to circulate nutrients and remove waste materials, the arteries and veins form a complex system. Here are a few differences between the arteries and veins.
- Systemic arteries circulate the oxygenated blood from the left ventricle of the heart to the different organs of the human body. At the same time, the systemic ventricles transport the oxygen-depleted blood from the body cells to the right atrium of the heart;
- The pulmonary arteries carry deoxygenated blood from the right ventricle of the heart to the lungs. On the other hand, the pulmonary vein carries the oxygen-rich blood from the lungs to the left atrium of the heart;
- The arteries have three distinct layers, which create a thick and muscular coating. The veins also have three layers which are thinner and less muscular than the arteries. The lumen of arteries is narrow, while veins have wide lumen;
- The arteries are red and are located deep within the body, while the veins are blue and located near the skin;
- The blood flow in arteries has a high pressure as blood flows by the pressure of the heart. There are no valves present in the arteries. The veins have a low pressure as the capillary action of the veins directs the action. Valves are present in the veins.
2.1 What is The Artery
The artery is a part of the circulatory system which carries the oxygenated blood to the cells. It supplies oxygen-rich blood from the left ventricle of the heart to different other organs, which contains three layers:
- The inner layer is intima, which lined by endothelium. Moreover, endothelium is a smooth tissue;
- Then, the media, which is the layer of muscle, leds arteries handle the high pressure from the heart;
- The last one is called adventitia, which is the tissue connecting arteries to the nearby tissues.
2.2 What is The Vein
The vein is a part of the cardiovascular system which carries the oxygen-depleted blood from different organs back to the heart. Also, for our vein, there are still three layers:
- The inner layer is tunica intima. It’s a single layer of endothelium cells and some connective tissue;
- Then, the tunica media, which is the middle layer. It’s thin and contains a large amount of collagen.;
- The last one is the outer layer called tunica externa, which is the thickest and connective tissue.
3. How to Draw the Artery and Veins Diagram
As the cardiovascular system is complex, drawing arteries and veins may seem difficult. If the students follow the step-by-step method, they can make a cardiovascular system connected with arteries, veins, and capillaries. The student can opt for freehand drawing to create a diagram of arteries and veins. Here are the steps that the students can follow to draw the arteries and veins.
3.1 How to Draw the Artery and Vein from Sketch
Step 1: at first, people need to draw the heart with the pulmonary artery and vein. The students must place the valves in their proper position, and they can also indicate the four parts of the heart.
Step 2: put an arrow directed towards the arteries, which students can give branched pipes-like shape. Students can use red colors here while drawing. The branching is not highly dense but limited in number.
Step 3: the arteries are further branched in arterioles and joined with densely branched capillaries. The capillaries are further connected to venules. The venules are densely branched veins. Users can use blue color to indicate the veins.
Step 4: draw veins by making a thin pipe with light branching. The arrowhead from the capillaries is directed towards the veins.
Step 5: There is another arrow from the veins towards the heart, which shows the complete blood flow cycle occurring within the human body.
3.2 How to Draw the Artery and Vein Online
People can also create the arteries and veins diagrams with the help of the EdrawMax Online tool. The tool is highly efficient, and they can smoothly work on this tool. To create arteries and veins diagrams in EdrawMax, they can follow these simple steps.
Step 1: the tool is very efficient and user-friendly, and it is pretty effortless for the students to work on this tool. To start with the diagram, they need to open EdrawMax Online and then open New.
Step 2: Under the new option comes the Science and Education tab. There are different types of diagrams available for the students, teachers, and any professionals. They can work on their science projects and draw science drawings with the help of this tool.
Step 3: once select the artery and vein diagram, just use it immediately. But before editing your drawing, you need to choose the symbols and shapes that need to use from symbol libraries.
Step 4: keep customizing as your preference, such as add some notes, add more details, and even make the diagram from start.
Step 5: Save and export your artery and vein diagram to any type of formats, including Microsoft Office, PS, Graphic, PDF, HTML and so on. Also, you can share your diagrams with friends and teachers on social media, or just print it out and take it for presentation.
3.3 Tips for Making Science Drawings
Here are some tips for making a professional science drawings from begining.
- You should fill half of the provided space;
- Use a sharp pencil, and the lines should be sharp, single, complete, and they should not overlap each other;
- The labeling lines should not overlap each other. The lines should not have arrowheads;
- You must use straight lines to label the objects.
4. The Artery and Veins Problems
In certain conditions, a person can face some problems regarding the arteries and veins. Here is a list of issues problems:
1) Coronary artery disease
When there is plaque build-up in the arteries, which creates a blockage in the path of oxygenated blood supply, the condition is called coronary artery disease.
- Cause: some causes of the disease are obesity, inactivity, high blood pressure, etcetera.
- Prevention: reducing alcohol consumption, smoking, and following a healthy diet, and taying active and keeping obesity in check.
2) Deep vein thrombosis
When a blood clot occurs in deep veins of the body, then the problem is called deep vein thrombosis. It primarily occurs in the legs.
- Cause: the primary reason is the prevention of blood flow which can be a reaction of damaged veins due to surgery. Inflammation from injury can also lead to Deep Vein Thrombosis.
- Prevention: regular exercise and activities.
3) Varicose veins
When veins get twisted and enlarged, they are called Varicose veins. Mostly, they are seen in the lower body veins.
- Cause: weakened vein walls and valves, which lose their elasticity due to the stretching of the vein walls, are the primary cause.
- Prevention: exercise and check on the weight, and avoid High heels and tight undergarments.
As the human body is significantly dependent on the arteries and veins, the students must learn their function. They can also have an idea about the functioning of artery vs. vein, heart, and protection. They can generate an idea about the system created by arteries and veins. It becomes easy for them to draw a vein and artery diagram with the help of the EdrawMax Online tool.
In conclusion, EdrawMax Online is a quick-start diagramming tool, which is easier to make artery and vein diagram and any 280 types of diagrams. Also, it contains substantial built-in templates that you can use for free, or share your science diagrams with others in our template community.